Sunday, November 12, 2017

2018 Reading Challenge



In 2016 I tried a couple of reading challenges that were floating around the internet, I did okay with them. What I really liked was the idea of challenging myself to read different things. It sort of made me plan out what I had to read. In 2017, I made my own reading challenge. I was pretty proud of it, and it can be seen here. I think that I definitely learned a lot, but ultimately I took on way too much with it and it needed some fine-tuning. Throughout it all, my amazing friend Tress was trying to do the challenge right alongside me. While 2017 is not over yet, I'll be honest and admit I'm not even going to finish half of it. That's okay though because what it did do was give me a lot of ideas for 2018. I started out this list just consulting with Tress on her thoughts on 2017's list. What ended up happening is we ended up collaborating on a massive reading challenge the past couple of weeks. Tress has been talking to a lot of members on a website called Dragonmount that we're both apart of (her far more than I am. I've never been outside the Mafia game thread there) about my previous reading challenge. I think She may have even referenced it on her own blog which can be found here. I'm incredibly proud of the work we put into this, and I think it's going to be a lot of fun. Before I show off the challenge, I want to explain it a bit.

This challenge is actually several challenges in one. The way it is designed is that you work through one level and then move on to the next. It's comprised of five different challenges of 12 books each, or 60 books total. We tried to arrange it in a way that shows what we thought would be the easiest in the first few levels, and then gradually gets harder. We also wanted to spread it out a bit, so the same types of challenges aren't in each level. Ultimately, I think we both wanted a challenge that's going to really make us have to think ahead and plan to complete it. Tress and I are both really into organization and bullet journaling, so for us, this is just an extension of that. I'm not sure what goals Tress has set for herself within the challenge, but my goals are to work it in order and try to see how far I can get. Last year, I kind of read a book and then tried to fit it into a category on the challenge. This year, I'd like to plan ahead and see if I can read more because of it. I've already got some books in mind for some of the items, so I'm really excited to see what I can accomplish on this list. So, without further ado here is Tress and I's reading challenge for 2018. I've also linked a prettier printable version of the table. Special thanks to the husband for making the pdf and html work, because that stuff is so beyond me it's not even funny.

Download and print the reading challenge
2018 Reading Challenge
Number Challenge Book Author
Level 1: Book of the Month Club
1 A book from Project Gutenberg
2 A book that costs less than $5
3 A Cozy Mystery
4 A comedy or a satire book
5 Read a book by Nora Roberts
6 A book that has been turned into a movie or TV show
7 A book on a best seller list
8 A book under 300 pages
9 A book that takes place around a holiday
10 A book with a one word title
11 A book you first read when you were a teenager
12 A children's book
level 2: Casual Reader Club
13 A book by a new author
14 Reread a favorite book
15 A book with a cover that's in your favorite color
16 A book published in 1993
17 A book recommended to you on social media or by a friend
18 A book with a number in the title
19 A book with pictures in it
20 A retelling of a fairy tale
21 A book that involves a mythical creature
22 A book about witches
23 A book by an author named Chris or Christopher
24 A book you got from a used bookshop or site
Level 3: Dedicated Reader Club
25 A book about space travel, aliens, or other planets
26 A book with an animal in the title
27 First in a series you've wanted to start
28 A book with music or song in the title
29 A book with a purple cover
30 A cult classic
31 A book about a Teacher
32 An action adventure book
33 A book that takes place before 1900
34 A book about friendship
35 A book by Michael Crichton
36 A book about a Queen
Level 4: Speed Reader Club
37 A book by Agatha Christie
38 A book that takes place in Australia
39 A book that has a title starting with the letter Y
40 Read a compilation of short stories
41 Read a book from the Guardian's 100 greatest Novel list
42 A book with the word thief in the title
43 A banned book
44 A book published in 1968
45 A book about a doctor
46 A book involving food
47 A book with a male main character
48 A book by two or more authors
Level 5: Overachiever Club
49 A book published the year one of your parents was born
50 A book over 500 pages
51 A book about traveling
52 A book with a flower on the cover
53 A Non-Fiction book
54 A book that takes place during a war
55 A book involving a culture different than your own
56 A book that takes place in Canada
57 A book that was originally published in a foreign language
58 A book about a character who has your dream job
59 A book with woman or girl in the title
60 A book about a main character that has the same hair color as you

30 comments:

  1. This is a really awesome challenge! I think I will definitely try this one out! :) It seems really fun, but also gives a challenge that isn't to impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm glad you like it. I'm really happy with how it turned out, and how it's got different challenges within it. Be sure to let me know how you do on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great. Do you absolutely have to fill every category?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie! Not at all. We planned it so people can work to how many levels they want, and tried to arrange it from easiest to hardest. I'll probably only get to only the 2nd or 3rd level myself. You could even skip around if you wanted. This is just a fun way to challenge readers. =) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
    2. Ok, I am in. I will complete as many as I can, skipping around if I want or need to. Here is my post:
      http://jannghi.blogspot.com/2017/11/2018-reading-challenge-linz-bookworm.html

      Delete
    3. I'll add your blog to the Bloggers I follow tab =)

      Delete
  4. Awesome list! I'm in. Here's my blog page:

    http://darlenesbooknook.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_29.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's a lot of challenges. I'm going to add you to the bloggers I follow tab. Best of luck!

      Delete
  5. I am going to participate in this challenge. It seems like something I could do. I am going to link this post to my blog.
    http://tammyannbooks.blogspot.com
    Thank you so much
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! Best of luck on it. I'll link your blog to my page!

      Delete
  6. This looks like fun, thanks for hosting! I am hoping to complete at least level 1. Here's my post: http://www.readathomemom.com/p/blog-page_28.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! Best of luck. I'm going to try and get to level two or three myself (three's for sure a stretch.) I'll add you to bloggers I follow!

      Delete
  7. I'll be participating! Here is my blog link!
    literarymeweb.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/even-more-challenges/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aubrey, best of luck! Adding you to the bloggers I follow page. =)

      Delete
  8. Hi! I'm definitely doing this! It will work for teens, correct? I really fell behind in my reading this last year and this challenge looks like a lot of fun and full of inspiration! Would a Goodreads page work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why it wouldn't work for teens. The couple of author specific ones might be the only hang up. Currently, I'm just linking other bloggers so other people can find them, however I will be posting my own status updates, you can always comment on those updates as well. Best of luck!

      Delete
  9. I'm in! Let's see how far I can go. My 2018 reading challenges post is here: http://www.truebookaddict.com/2018/01/2018-reading-challenges-books.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck! You've definitely listed some interesting looking challenges on your page! Adding you to the follow page.

      Delete
  10. Hello, this looks like fun so I'm in! Thanks for hosting!
    My link http://libriamicimiei.blogspot.it/2018/02/2018-reading-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mave, Thanks for the comment! I'm hoping it will be fun for everyone. It's already making me think about what books I need to read next. I'll get you added to the blogger list! Best of luck!

      Delete
  11. Your article continually have got much of really up to date info. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. just wanted to let you know I just have two books to go! And I wanted to ask if you will be having one of these challenges next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, that's awesome! You are way ahead of me. I will be making another challenge and posting it sometime in December.

      Delete
    2. Done now! Excited about next year!
      https://jannghi.blogspot.com/2017/11/2018-reading-challenge-linz-bookworm.html

      Delete
    3. Jamie, that's awesome! My Reading Challenge partner in crime and I just started working on 2019's! It'll be a similar format but with more challenges!

      Delete
  13. Hey all! The 2019 challenge is ready, find it here at https://linzthebookworm.blogspot.com/2018/12/2019-reading-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, that's very kind of you to say!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just realizing I never made an initial post about joining in this challenge. If you are interested in seeing how far I got or what books I chose, I've included the links below!

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z0ckXVC8CjxBA-wL9FCSb9T712RHGma8kt2Y0Z08_gI/edit?usp=sharing

    https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/16943804-suzy?shelf=2018-linz-5in1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! I'm enjoying seeing what you read. How was Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore? I really enjoyed his book Fool. Excellent choice in Storm Front. Both Tress and I are huge Dresden fans!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my book blog. Please feel free to leave a comment to further or start a discussion on the book reviews and other posts. If you have a book recommendation for me, I would love to hear it!